Getting Started Article Count: 2
Learn how to make the best use of the Smorgasbord Smaller Business Management Knowledgebase by taking a minute to read how it is structured.
Tasting Buffet (INTRODUCTION) Article Count: 4
Most of the information in the Smorgasbord Knowledgebase needs you to be registered to use it. But here is a tasting menu to introduce you to Smorgasbord.
Smorgasbord is a buffet of distilled business wisdom presented in a manner that allows managers to quickly review what they do and don't know about a particular issue they are facing and then 'drill down' to solutions to your problem.
The solutions presented are ever evolving distillations of the huge range of business advice confronting, and often overwhelming, managers.
We don't sell any particular "quick fix" solutions. Rather, we aim to give you a taste of the business wisdom on the topics out there so you can decide if you want more of that particular topic - and then point you to further resources you can follow.
We were so taken by the concept of "all the business wisdom you can eat" that we called the website Smorgasbord after the real world dining equivalent.
So you never have to read the same information twice, we capture information as Ingredients, Appetizers, Sauces or Recipes. Just like cooking, these are the basic elements of (in our case) knowledge. They are linked to from all over Smorgasbord . So, if you are reading one thing and come across a reference to something you don't know about, you can click on the link and it gets parked in a new browser tab where it stays till you get to reading it. If you already know that information, you can safely ignore that link. This means no more repetition in your reading!
Because there will be knowledge that you should be aware of but don't yet know that (the "don't know what you don't know group), we steer you towards what else you might need via Menus, Diets and Cuisines.
The break up of management knowledge we have developed to speed up your access is;
- Diets are our industry stage equivalent of 'low salt', 'paleo' and 'high carb' food diets: startups, growth & mature businesses and troubled ones.
- Cuisines are the various types of industry like services, manufacturing and professions: the equivalent of 'French', 'Italian' and 'Vegetarian' for example.
- Ingredients are the basic components of knowledge used widely throughout the Recipes. A very profound example is the The Amazing 80/20 Rule Ingredient - demo. Food ingredients are things like bread and meat widely used in many recipes.
- Recipes, in turn, are a distillation of the wisdom on a particular topic that can be applied to improve your business. Examples include website design, inventory management and the sales funnel.
- Menus are collections of recipes arranged into groups equivalent to entrees, mains and dessert. They give a subset of the available recipes that might be useful in a particular activity like a Tuneup of your business.
- Sauces give flavour and zest and are spread all over your meal. Our equivalents are people, information and money.
- if you already know what you want, try the Search function in the top right-hand corner on every page.
It doesn't matter too much where you start the search process. Smorgasbord will direct you to a solution.
Diets (Business stage) Article Count: 4
Just like we have low salt, low carb, paleo and other diets, we have business wisdom suited to the different stages of a business's life. If you are a growth business for example, you will find our materials relevant to you grouped under that diet.
If you are a new manager or excited about expanding your professional development, we have groups a lot so our resources in the Personal Development Menu
Cuisines (Industry) Article Count: 3
Business ranges across many industries and styles of operation. Just like we have cuisines like French, Italian and vegetarian, we group our business wisdom into industry types so you can quickly find information likely to be most relevant.
Our list of "cuisines' includes;
- retail; including wholesale
- manufacturing; including construction and any other industry with an 'assembly line', project management and inventory
- professions like legal, interior design and others service industries essentially selling people's time and knowledge
- hospitality like dining, accommodation
At some future date, we hope to be able to make this knowledge base available to business owners in developing countries and in their own language. So, one day we might have Chinese, Vietnamese and Ghanaian cuisines!
Menus (Structured readings on a topic) Article Count: 10
When dining, a menu has a list of dishes (recipes) loosely arranged in order of when they are eaten in the meal. In Smorgasbord, we have the same approach. A menu might be named Tuneup and hold a group of recipes that allow you to fine tune various parts of your business. Just as an entree comes before desert, so the various recipes are arranged according to the best timing. Recipes can appear in a number of menus. You can pick from the recipes on a menu in any order that suits though they will often suggest the order likely to be most effective.
Recipes (Action Plans) Article Count: 25
In Smorgasbord, a recipe refers to a single piece of business wisdom like inventory management, website design or sales. This recipe might appear on several menus but the knowledge is contained in just one place; a recipe. Unlike books, this saves you wading through a lot of material every time to find the particular item you are after.
The recipes are drawn from experts and distilled into manageable and implementable 'bites' of wisdom for business owners.
Ingredients (Building blocks) Article Count: 17
Ingredients are the basic components of recipes. In our case, these are pieces of wisdom that can be used in many recipes. Examples include the 80:20 Rule, Parkinson's Law and so on.
80/20 Rule Article Count: 11
We consider the 80/20 Rule to be a likely major contributor to growing your business. Because of the volume of material, we have subdivided it into a number of specialist Recipes and linked them together in a Menu.
Planning, Brainstorming Article Count: 5
A collection of tools or ingredients that help with brainstorming to get fresh ideas, solve problems and contribute to planing
Streamlining, optimization Article Count: 7
A collection of processes for working faster, better, smarter.
Sauces Article Count: 1
Sauces add flavour to meals. They are often spread over the meal. Sometimes they are famous! In Smorgasbord, we say that People and Money are the two necessary sauces that will flavour your successful business and are spread completely over it. We collect our staffing related information resources into a menu at Staffing your Business Menu.
Introductory Article Count: 11
General information about Smorgasbord.
Turbocharger Article Count: 1
Turbocharger is the Smorgasbord theme focused entirely on growing your profits and profitability as rapidly and efficiently as possible.
Profit maximization is usually one goal of most businesses and there is a lot of content relating to this in Smorgasbord.
Turbocharger brings that together in a structured way to make it easier for you to focus on this goal.